Welcome to the Super Rad Arcade!

I'm Ryan, otherwise known as FistoftheWind on the internets. This is my personal space for retro video gaming, movie and television reviews as well as a lot of other junk from the 80's and 90's. Thanks for stopping by! When you're done reading be sure to check the forum link above and meet our other friends from the Mega Base.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

PSVita Impressions

I got to take a PSVita for a spin this past weekend and I wanted to share some of my thoughts on the new handheld. If you haven't had a chance to try one yet, most Gamestops in the country are getting test play units for people to try.

First of all the system felt great in my hands. I have big hands so usually I expect some getting used to when I pick up a new handheld. The dimensions of the system feel much more ergonomic than the original PSP. The screen is impressively big, covering a good 80% of the unit.

The d-pad, shoulder and buttons are pretty much the same as the old PSP in quality. I'm impressed that they added 2 actual analog sticks instead of finger nubs, though they do seem like they're a bit fragile. They work great though. In the games I tried I was able to walk or run based on the tilt of the stick, just as an analog is supposed to work.

The touch pad on the back is a glossy surface and sort of feels the same as the back of a 3DS. Both the touch pad and the touch screen were very responsive.

The power of the system is impressive, putting out graphics on par with the PS3 from what I could tell of the demos I tried. I'm not sure of the exact screen resolution but this was the most crisp and clear looking screen I've seen on a portable device outside of an I-Pad.

Some of the things I've praised though are also double edged swords. While the system is large and comfortable to hold, this makes it seem less portable than something like the 3DS, which I'm used to just throwing in my pocket. There's no way this thing would fit in any of my pant pockets or even most of my jacket pockets without forcing it or being uncomfortable. Some kind of carrying case or sleeve would have to be mandatory for me to protect the analog sticks, because once those go you're pretty much going to have to replace the whole system. This means that I would have to have my messenger bag with me before I'd want to carry this thing around, which I don't always want to do.

The price at this point is a little steep as well. Sony is coming out with some launch bundles to make the financial hit a bit softer, but by the time you get that, another game and possibly a carrying case you like you're still into a heavy investment. If I was going to spend this much I'd rather get a PS3 and leave gaming on the go to my 3DS.

I like the Vita, but I'm not going to be an early adopter. There doesn't seem to be anything in the opening lineup that interests me besides Street Fighter x Tekken and I'm already getting that for a console that I can use my arcade stick with. The lack of backwards compatibility is a downer too, and the exact details of the PSP game download service is unclear. I'm also a little burned at my first PSP experience when my shiny new handheld had several dead pixels and Sony customer service basically told me to deal with it or try to buy another.

I'm hopeful for the Vita but I think I'm going to have to wait to see what develops. Good luck Sony!

No comments:

Post a Comment