Welcome to the Super Rad Arcade!

I'm Ryan, otherwise known as FistoftheWind on the internets. This is my personal space for retro video gaming, movie and television reviews as well as a lot of other junk from the 80's and 90's. Thanks for stopping by! When you're done reading be sure to check the forum link above and meet our other friends from the Mega Base.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Retro Gaming Finds - April 6th

Evening everyone!

One of my favorite hobbies is searching flea markets (or dirt malls depending on where you hail from) and thrift markets for retro gaming items in the hopes of giving them a better home and much needed playing. I've decided to start making record of these adventures, good and bad, as well as information on better deals in my area for other collectors.

This weekend I set out to find a replacement Sega Genesis to fill the gap left by the passing of the original from my childhood. I set out with my brother (@Yoshieggpic on Twitter) to the Tri-Cities Flea Markets outside of Johnson City TN. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures from the trip itself, only the stuff I actually came home with.

The first booth we stopped at had a model 1 Genesis with Altered beast in the box with all original accessories, inserts and game. The condition was pretty spectacular but the asking price of $120 was a little steep for me and I was looking for one to play instead of display in a collection anyway.

The next booth had a model 2 Genesis in box with inserts and all accessories. It was supposed to include Vector Man and the box was pretty beat up so he was only asking for $25 for it. I got it out of the box to inspect and everything was in fantastic condition. No scuffs or anything on the console itself and the controller and cords felt like they had never been touched. Needless to say I was pretty excited, but unfortunately when I opened the cartridge slot it appeared that something had smashed one of the connectors down. He seemed just as let down as I was as I think he had accepted it as a trade earlier.


 The broken connector


This controller is in amazing condition
 

The next booth had a Genesis model 2 on display with no cords or accessories. It appeared to be in pretty good shape and the connectors looked great in this one. The seller said that it worked but he didn't have any of the cords for it, but since it was a risk on my part he was only asking $5 for it, along with a free controller, so I decided to give it a shot.

I went back to the other booth and asked if he would be willing to part with the box and cords of the other console and lucky enough he was for $10 and even included the broken console to see if I could do anything with it.

Score! Mission accomplished and I was only in $15 dollars. I prefer the original model Genesis, but I think the model 2 still looks cool too. I didn't see any games I needed anywhere so we cut the trip short after that.

Back at home, as expected, the console with the broken connector powers on but will not play anything. I may be able to bend it back with the right tool but I'm keeping it to the side for now. The other console works like a charm and I've been happily enjoying my Genesis collection since I got home.

The working console, still in pretty good shape

All the spoils from this trip

It was a great trip and I can't wait to visit again. Maybe I'll see what kinds of Master System stuff I can find next time.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Deal...

    You Probably Seen The Dreamcast My Wife Brought Home For Me The Other Day On Twitter Or Instagram...Awesome Indeed, 2 controllers a memory card and a sleeve holder full of games, kinda of...a lot were scratched up and need resurfacing...Then To Top It Off, I Learned How To Put Isos On CD-Rs To Play On It So i Have Everything Worth Having Now...Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Power Stone...The Greatest Hits Of COurse...

    We Should Hit Up The Flee Market Sometime Man...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late response. For some reason I never got a notification for this.

      Anyway, a trip to the flea market sounds awesome. There are several gaming booths with lots of retro gems to be unearthed there.

      Have you tried any of the home brewed games out there for Dreamcast?

      Delete