Welcome to the Super Rad Arcade!

I'm Ryan, otherwise known as FistoftheWind on the internets. This is my personal space for retro video gaming, movie and television reviews as well as a lot of other junk from the 80's and 90's. Thanks for stopping by! When you're done reading be sure to check the forum link above and meet our other friends from the Mega Base.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Retro Gaming Finds - November

Earlier this week I became the proud (2nd time) owner of a Sega 32X console...adapter....or whatever you want to call it. My original 32X is currently lost in storage somewhere that I've yet to recover, but when I came across this deal I couldn't pass it up.

This unit came from Amazon and was listed at 20 dollars including the Genesis model 2 link cable. That's just unheard of during the retro gaming boom we're in these days. Check out ebay and see if you can find a 32X by itself for under 40 dollars with no hookups. After that you can expect to spend another 20 rounding up the right cable for your Genesis and an AC adapter.

My only concern when ordering it was that it was only coming with the cable for a model 2 but no spacer, so I would have to either make my own kind of spacer or risk damage to my Genesis from the wobbling caused by the lack of support. For those unfamiliar with the device, if you hook one up to a Genesis 2 without the spacer there's a gap left due to the slimmer design. Basically you're putting the entire weight of the 32X against the mother board of the Genesis. What the spacer does is spreads the weight evenly on the exterior of the Genesis casing while also holding the 32X firmly in place.

Anyway, my luck hadn't ended yet because lo and behold there was a spacer attached to the 32X! I don't know if the seller just missed it or was being generous but I'd like to send out a thank you to them either way. The spacer is another pain in the ass 32X accessory to find these days. Not only are they rare but when they do pop up on Ebay the sellers are always asking 20+ dollars for them (absolutely ridiculous).

I've been a happy camper the past few days replaying my 32X games and enjoying the oh so slightly improvement to the visuals on my Genesis games. The fact that my Chaotix save files were still in tact after all this time was icing on the cake.

I'll do a more in depth write up of my thoughts of the 32X later on. Until then, thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment