Welcome to the Super Rad Arcade!

I'm Ryan, otherwise known as FistoftheWind on the internets. This is my personal space for retro video gaming, movie and television reviews as well as a lot of other junk from the 80's and 90's. Thanks for stopping by! When you're done reading be sure to check the forum link above and meet our other friends from the Mega Base.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

What's up with Cadbury eggs now?

Cadbury eggs and I have a sort of love hate relationship these days. Every once in a while, especially in the weeks surrounding the Easter holiday, I'll treat myself to one, usually followed by a feeling of regret. It's sad, because when I was a kid they used to be one of my favorite Easter treats hands down.

So what's wrong with them now? If you grew up in the 80's and early 90's you've probably noticed that their recipe has changed. They used to be filled with a runny, syrupy translucent liquid that was supposed to look like an egg yolk. Now adays the center has been replaced with a thick fondent like white and yellow gunk. I don't remember them being quite as sugary when I was a kid, I mean, the stuff that's in them now is richer than cake icing.

I don't know why the filling was changed. My guess is that people complained that they were too messy perhaps (shame on you!). I mean, they were pretty messy when they were runny, but that's part of the fun! I think the change is probably from when Hershey bought the rights to produce the eggs.

I don't expect them to change the formula at this point, especially since they appear to be selling good enough on their own. I do wish they would pull a "new coke/coke classic" and release the old style of eggs. I may have to write in or call Hershey to suggest that.

I feel sad that my kids will never get to experience the runny style that I so enjoyed when I was a kid. Here's hoping it can be changed on of these days though.

To learn more about the history of the Cadbury egg click here.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, man. And I saw on TV around Easter as well that they've shrunk in size a good bit even though inflation has certainly hit their price.

    ReplyDelete