Welcome to the Super Rad Arcade!

I'm Ryan, otherwise known as FistoftheWind on the internets. This is my personal space for retro video gaming, movie and television reviews as well as a lot of other junk from the 80's and 90's. Thanks for stopping by! When you're done reading be sure to check the forum link above and meet our other friends from the Mega Base.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

My thoughts on Super Power Beat Down: Ryu vs Green Ranger

Earlier this month Bat in the Sun debuted the 15th episode of their Super Power Beat Down series - Ryu vs. the Green Ranger. If you're not familiar with SPBD, they come up with various match ups across pretty much any fandom. Past videos have included Captain America vs. Master Chief, Wolverine vs. Predator, and even Batman vs. Darth Vader.

The victor isn't necessarily decided based on the powers and abilities of the characters but on fan voting. So despite what you may know about the background of the characters, it's really anyone's guess as to who will win.

So check out the video and then scroll for my thoughts on the fight below:



With Street Fighter being one of my all time favorite video game series, I just had to throw my 2 cents on this video. First of all the costumes look great. I'm glad Ryu's gi has a worn and dirty look to it. One of the biggest mistakes a lot of live action Street Fighter interpretations make is giving Ryu a brand spanking new gi. I love the updates to the Green Ranger costume. It captures the classic look while also appearing to be more than just spandex. The silver trim on the top of the helmet is a really nice touch as well. You gotta admit, the Green Ranger definitely looked a lot cooler than Ryu in this encounter.


The fight choreography was fast, flashy and masterfully done. Both fighters definitely proved their martial arts prowess, but I was disappointed in the lack of Ryu's trademark specials. The hadoukens looked really cool, but the shoryuken came off as sloppy and desperate to me. I'm guessing the glowing round houses were a nod to the hurricane kick? Maybe, until the Green Ranger whips one of his own right back at Ryu, completely dismissing his efforts.

My biggest disappointment comes from when Ryu just randomly changes to Evil Ryu out of nowhere, like it was just some technique he keeps in his bag of tricks. I think the Satsui no Hadou would have been represented better if the Green Ranger actually KOed Ryu at first and then in an act of furious anger and desperation he submits to it and becomes Evil Ryu.

Overall I enjoyed the fight and presentation. I just wish they could have spent more time making Ryu's attacks more accurate. It's not the actor's fault, but the bar has been set pretty high for live action Street Fighter interpretations by the Assassin's Fist film.

If you didn't like the result of the matchup, be sure to check out their Youtube channel for the alternate ending. This alternate ending is pretty half assed in my opinion but check it out anyway to see what you think. You'll also want to see both to make sure you see all the cameos from Power Rangers and Street Fighter's past.

What did you think? Do you agree with the victor chosen? Do you think it still sticks if it were based on character ability over fan voting? I'm always down for some Power Ranger vs. Street Fighter discussion.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment