Welcome to the Super Rad Arcade!

I'm Ryan, otherwise known as FistoftheWind on the internets. This is my personal space for retro video gaming, movie and television reviews as well as a lot of other junk from the 80's and 90's. Thanks for stopping by! When you're done reading be sure to check the forum link above and meet our other friends from the Mega Base.

Friday, October 14, 2011

I had a mini-stroke

Last night was probably one of the more frightening experiences of my life. Yeah you read the title right, I had a mini-stroke, while not as scarey as a full on stroke, it's definitely something to be concerned with.

So yesterday evening we were playing Soul Calibur III downstairs and I was laying down on my stomach for most of it. When things were wrapping up I got up and it appeared that my right arm had fallen asleep. I wasn't really too concerned with it, I mean that's what usually happens when you lean on your arm for so long.

After 5 to 10 minutes though, it hadn't passed. Not even the needly/tingly feeling that comes along when you start to recover from numbness. I was working my arm and moving my fingers to no avail, I just couldn't feel anything. At this point I considered that maybe I had pinched a nerve, but then my neck and right side of my lower jaw started to fill numb too.

I could sense that something was up, but I wasn't sure what. I took some aspirin and sat down to take it easy. It was then that Caiti asked me a question and I couldn't answer her. I wasn't really sure what she asked and I couldn't move my tongue to reply. I also felt really confused, like I couldn't event think to ask how you would ask someone what they said.

Caiti and Pam, who was visiting, knew something bad was happening then. Caiti had me get dressed, which I did, but all the while I couldn't help but feel frustrated that I couldn't talk. It's like I couldn't comprehend the situation as a whole, I was just focused on trying to talk. It was like I was stuck inside my own head, I could form the words in my mind but do nothing to project anything.

After we got to the Bristol Hospital Caiti signed us in and then we proceeded to wait. On the car ride over I had begun to talk slightly better again. She quizzed me on things to check my memory, like Connor and Liam's birthdays and our Wedding Anniversary. I remember being frustrated because I couldn't recall certain things instantly that I should be able to. I had trouble with my brother's name and Connor's birthday. I was kind of starting to panic a little.

After waiting close to an hour for a room, it seemed that I was becoming myself again. Which was a good thing because we weren't getting a room any time soon. I think we waited in the lobby for a little over 2 hours. Caiti checked and their computer system had gone offline or something. Real comforting to know that no lives can be saved while you're having computer issues guys...

Eventually we went on home. After some additional research and education from Pam it seemed that I had what they call a mini-stroke. It's not nearly the degree of an actual stroke, but something that shouldn't be brushed aside. Educate yourself more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-stroke

Which brings us today. I was fortunate enough to get etime from work today so I could make an appointment with my doctor. I believe I can attribute all of this to the amount of salt and fats in my diet, as well as alcohol and smoking on the weekends.

For me this is a wake up call. I'm past due for improving my diet anyway. I think Liam is big enough now that I can take walks with him and Connor. I need to lose weight as well. I hate that it got this far, but I'm ready to make serious changes.

If you're reading, Pam, Clinton, Kayla, and Ryan; thank you guys so much for helping with the kids while this was going on. I love you guys and I'm glad I could count on you, you guys are great!

Thanks for reading, it was therapeutic to write it all out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling better, I would have been freaking out. We've been talking about changing what we eat and working on the losing weight stuff as well. If you guys need anything or have ideas or want to, I dunno, take a creeper trail walk or something, let us know.

    ReplyDelete